shinyness!
So I'm a touch overdue, yet again. Shocking, yes, I know.
I do believe I mentioned something along the lines of posting about my foray into polymer clay jewelry on...Wednesday evening.
Oops.
Here, a shiny picture to distract you!
Pretty, huh?
I was struck by a bit of a whim the other night. I had some cheapo white Sculpey clay left over from creating a tiny Ganesh, and I'd brought it out to stare at me so I'd be forced to get my arse in gear making some 'treasure' to go into my piracy shrine. Every attempt at making anything vaguely decent turned out to be absolute crap, so the clay was put back in the box to languish while I pretended it didn't exist.
A day or two later I set out to make my room kitten-friendly (I find it best to keep Jack out of tie-dye chemicals and containers full of .25 inch wide mirrors...it's the Momma in me) when I ran across a bag of those flat-on-one-side craft marble thingies that they sell for use in vases and such (do those things have an actual name?) and Eureka! Marbles could become stones in pendants if wrapped in clay!
...I have no clue as to exactly how my brain works...it likes random ideas...
Lacking any sort of proper tools or anything, I just started smushing up the clay and rolling it out into 'snakes' (ah, such fond memories of making completely lopsided coil-pots when I was little) and using my snakes to make spirals and wavy bits around pretty colored pieces of glass.
(I'm not confusing you with all my fancy-schmancy technical talk, now, am I?)
Started with a red marble, cause it's my favorite color, natch:
You can't tell from that pic but the spiral on the bottom is kinda smushed.
Oh, and do you like my 'model'? I have plans to have an actual human (read: the Sarah) wear them out in natural light so I can get some really nice shots, but neither her neck nor the sun were available at 3 AM the other night when I felt like taking photos, so I made myself a willing and able model so I could show a bit of scale...and my, oh my, I can surely ramble on about a bit of tree-pulp and graphite...
Where was I? Oh, yeah, then I made a green one:
The green is, by far, the most popular one...I'm thinking that maybe it's the symmetry of it. I like my stuff wonky, yet balanced, but apparently other people feel differently.
On to a dark blue, two stone piece, meant to be worn off to the left:
It's my least favorite. I think it's kinda...blah.
Then yellow, which is where the coils started to get thinner and loopier:
Wonky, yet balanced is definitely my thing...
Purple one that looks reddish in the group shot:
Definitely my favorite as far as the layout of the clay; it is, of course, the most delicate one of the group. I've already pulled little bits of it apart accidentally, just from putting the cording in. Hopefully better clay and a few tweaks in my construction technique will result in a pendant like it that' stronger.
And, since I had a teeny piece of clay left out that I didn't feel like sticking back in the box, I did another simple one using a small light-blue marble:
Now, what is it, you might ask, that's kept me from posting these past few days?
I've been obsessing...
...don't make that face!
I've been obsessing over how I'm gonna finagle myself an Etsy shop (people want to buy my pendants...and hopefully my other crafts, too).
To get a shop you need a valid credit card and PayPal. To get a valid credit card and PayPal you need a bank account. To get a bank account you need more than $2.97 to your name.
I have to figure out a way to acquire money so I can acquire money so I won't have to be continually short of money.
Sounds like fun, eh?
And even though the artist side of my brain is thrilled to think up random new things to create whenever and however it feels like it, the logic side of my brain has a bad case of OCD going on...
There's no way in hell I'll feel comfortable opening a shop till I have every last detail planned out, down to how exactly I'm going to package up and mail items I have yet to create.
Logic brain is stealing what little bits of sleep I've been able to fit into my schedule. I'd like logic brain to be quiet for a few...artist brain is a lot more fun. Artist brain enjoys pondering the wonders of color and paint and shiny things...
psst! logic brain is curious as to how much you'd be willing to pay for pretty necklaces!
I do believe I mentioned something along the lines of posting about my foray into polymer clay jewelry on...Wednesday evening.
Oops.
Here, a shiny picture to distract you!
Pretty, huh?I was struck by a bit of a whim the other night. I had some cheapo white Sculpey clay left over from creating a tiny Ganesh, and I'd brought it out to stare at me so I'd be forced to get my arse in gear making some 'treasure' to go into my piracy shrine. Every attempt at making anything vaguely decent turned out to be absolute crap, so the clay was put back in the box to languish while I pretended it didn't exist.
A day or two later I set out to make my room kitten-friendly (I find it best to keep Jack out of tie-dye chemicals and containers full of .25 inch wide mirrors...it's the Momma in me) when I ran across a bag of those flat-on-one-side craft marble thingies that they sell for use in vases and such (do those things have an actual name?) and Eureka! Marbles could become stones in pendants if wrapped in clay!
...I have no clue as to exactly how my brain works...it likes random ideas...
Lacking any sort of proper tools or anything, I just started smushing up the clay and rolling it out into 'snakes' (ah, such fond memories of making completely lopsided coil-pots when I was little) and using my snakes to make spirals and wavy bits around pretty colored pieces of glass.
(I'm not confusing you with all my fancy-schmancy technical talk, now, am I?)
Started with a red marble, cause it's my favorite color, natch:
You can't tell from that pic but the spiral on the bottom is kinda smushed.Oh, and do you like my 'model'? I have plans to have an actual human (read: the Sarah) wear them out in natural light so I can get some really nice shots, but neither her neck nor the sun were available at 3 AM the other night when I felt like taking photos, so I made myself a willing and able model so I could show a bit of scale...and my, oh my, I can surely ramble on about a bit of tree-pulp and graphite...
Where was I? Oh, yeah, then I made a green one:
The green is, by far, the most popular one...I'm thinking that maybe it's the symmetry of it. I like my stuff wonky, yet balanced, but apparently other people feel differently.On to a dark blue, two stone piece, meant to be worn off to the left:
It's my least favorite. I think it's kinda...blah.Then yellow, which is where the coils started to get thinner and loopier:
Wonky, yet balanced is definitely my thing...Purple one that looks reddish in the group shot:
Definitely my favorite as far as the layout of the clay; it is, of course, the most delicate one of the group. I've already pulled little bits of it apart accidentally, just from putting the cording in. Hopefully better clay and a few tweaks in my construction technique will result in a pendant like it that' stronger.And, since I had a teeny piece of clay left out that I didn't feel like sticking back in the box, I did another simple one using a small light-blue marble:
Now, what is it, you might ask, that's kept me from posting these past few days?I've been obsessing...
...don't make that face!
I've been obsessing over how I'm gonna finagle myself an Etsy shop (people want to buy my pendants...and hopefully my other crafts, too).
To get a shop you need a valid credit card and PayPal. To get a valid credit card and PayPal you need a bank account. To get a bank account you need more than $2.97 to your name.
I have to figure out a way to acquire money so I can acquire money so I won't have to be continually short of money.
Sounds like fun, eh?
And even though the artist side of my brain is thrilled to think up random new things to create whenever and however it feels like it, the logic side of my brain has a bad case of OCD going on...
There's no way in hell I'll feel comfortable opening a shop till I have every last detail planned out, down to how exactly I'm going to package up and mail items I have yet to create.
Logic brain is stealing what little bits of sleep I've been able to fit into my schedule. I'd like logic brain to be quiet for a few...artist brain is a lot more fun. Artist brain enjoys pondering the wonders of color and paint and shiny things...
psst! logic brain is curious as to how much you'd be willing to pay for pretty necklaces!
















1 comment:
I love the way your brain thinks!! those pendants are awesome! a cross between something ancient and something whimsical. Really cool!
Post a Comment